In today’s digital world, more and more businesses, including law firms, are building websites to attract potential clients. But with about two billion websites online, simply getting on the web won’t cut it.
As more law firms establish their digital presence, you need to do more to stand out from the competition. Search engine optimization, better known as SEO, is one way to do just that.
Devoting time to SEO will help you rank higher on Google and other search engine results pages for relevant queries making it easier for potential clients to find you. The right tactics will also help you appear in more “near me” searches. You’ll generate more organic website traffic, build your authority, and increase your conversions.
With fierce competition on the web, optimization isn’t something your firm can ignore. Here are a few SEO tips to help you stand out in the crowd.
1. Find Your Firm’s Keywords
Law firm SEO starts with determining the keywords you want to rank for on search engines. Start with your main practice areas and widen your keywords to related terms.
It’s best to use an SEO tool to help you identify, track, and optimize your keywords. Some examples include Moz and Semrush. If you’re looking for free options, Google Trends can help you track keyword search trends over specific periods, and Answer the Public can help identify relevant searches and questions.
2. Incorporate Keywords Into Your Website
Once you’ve researched your keywords and determined ones with high search and low competition, you’ll want to incorporate them naturally into your home page, landing pages, and additional content like blog posts.
Consider making separate landing pages for different keywords or phrases. This tactic helps you increase your visibility by providing more in-depth and beneficial information for each search query.
Also be sure to incorporate local keywords. Going local lets people in your service area find you more easily; you’re more likely to show up on a “near me” search if you incorporate your location in your web content.
3. Create Useful Content
Creating blog content does a few things to boost your SEO:
- Adding consistent, fresh, and relevant content helps to boost your rankings.
- You improve the user experience by providing potential clients with useful information that showcases your expertise in your practice areas.
- Blog posts are opportunities to dive deeper into related keywords used on your homepage and landing pages. Creating useful content lets you cover a variety of search queries, increase your online visibility, and help you build your authority in the field.When you post valuable content, potential clients will have an easier time finding you online and be more willing to trust your law firm.
4. Include Title Tags and Metadata
Title tags and metadata provide hints to potential clients about what your webpage is about. They also tell search engine algorithms about your site so they know how to rank you:
- The title tag is an HTML element that and denotes the title of your webpage. Title tags show up in search engine result pages (SERPs) so including high volume keywords is a good way to increase visibility.
- The metadata provides details about your web page to search engines.
Be sure to incorporate keywords into both.
5. Provide Good User Experience
All too often, people leave a website because of poor user experience.
Make sure your website is aesthetically pleasing and intuitive to use. Speed and mobile-friendliness are also musts for any modern website. There are free tools you can use to test mobile-friendliness and loading speeds to ensure you’re providing the best possible experience for your visitors.
6. Include Links
Internal links and external backlinks are crucial for SEO:
- Internal links make it easier for users to navigate your website to find the information they need.
- External links help to build your domain authority and make you more visible.
One way to build backlinks is to get listed on legal directories such as Avvo.com and Lawyers.com. Other ways to build quality backlinks include guest posting and collaborating with other businesses.
7. Complete Your Google Business Profile Page
In addition to incorporating local keywords into your web pages, completing your Google Business Profile (GBP) page also helps to boost your visibility.
Your GBP page provides all the essential information about your business to potential clients and Google’s search engine algorithms. Along with contact details, location information, and hours of operation, you can also post photographs to humanize your law firm, list your specific areas of practice, and include other pertinent information.
Increase Your Visibility With SEO
These quick lawyer SEO tips can help to increase your visibility, making it easier for potential clients to find your office over your competition. For more law firm SEO tips, Martindale-Avvo is here to assist. We have the tools and expertise to help you learn about, be found by, and connect with folks in need of your services. Visit our website today to get started.