A 2021 American Bar Association report found that only 27 percent of law firms and five percent of attorneys maintain a blog. Yet, 46 percent of all bloggers say that clients retained their services because of their blogs. If your law firm hasn’t yet started a blog, now is the time. You are likely missing out on a prime market with an ideal ROI.
The Value of Legal Blogging
Blogging can be time-consuming. However, it holds significant value for those in the legal field. Maintaining a blog can help your firm:
- Build authority
- Establish itself as a thought-leader in the field
- Attract and serve target clients
- Remain relevant
- Be found easily in search results
- With content for its social media accounts
- Stand out from the competition
If you aren’t blogging, Google most likely views your firm’s website as stagnant. You won’t rank well in search engines without frequent new content. As a result, you’re missing out on internal linking opportunities and giving your potential clients the current legal information they need to motivate them to hire you.
How to Launch a Legal Blog
Launching a legal blog doesn’t have to be as complicated as it might seem. If you haven’t already, decide on a domain name and purchase it. Then, set aside a portion of your website for your blog posts.
Next, you’ll want to pick keywords and topics for your blog. Select your keywords or phrases carefully, as writing blog posts that include the phrases your potential clients are searching for is the best and quickest strategy to increase search engine rankings. Researching relevant keywords or phrases provides useful insight into your potential client’s questions and interests. There are several online tools you can use, such as:
You can also look at your competitors’ topics in their blogs. Focusing on your clients’ questions most frequently can also help you brainstorm topic ideas and keywords.
Finally, set a schedule. Put your blogging deadlines in your calendar just like you would anything else of importance. Blogging weekly is ideal as search engines like to see frequent new content, but even publishing twice per month can help you stay on top in search engine rankings. Busy law firms may want to outsource their blogs.
The Best Blogging Platforms for Lawyers
Lawyers have many options when it comes to blogging platforms. When searching for one that best fits your needs, you should consider:
- Does it have law-themed templates? These can help save time and allow you to customize your blogs to fit your firm’s branding.
- Is it easy to use? – A good platform should be intuitive and straightforward to learn.
- Does it include blogging features? These will reduce the time and energy you must spend on your blog and help attract potential clients.
- Does it provide SEO tools? A platform with built-in SEO tools will help you rank on search engines, allowing you to reach a broader audience.
Some easy-to-use but professional legal blog platforms to check out include:
Squarespace (On Your Website)
- A “drag & drop” interface based on countless templates
- No need to search through HTML or any other codes
- Pricing is around $10-$30/month
WordPress (On Your Website)
- More customizable compared to other platforms
- Advanced SEO tools
- Simple publishing platform that can get more complex if you need it
Wix (On Your Website)
- More than 20 customizable templates in the law and finance category
LinkedIn (Third Party Publishing Platform)
- No publishing limits as much as you want
- Gives your followers a notification when you publish
If now is the right time for you to launch a legal blog, use these action steps to put the work on your calendar and dive in! A little planning goes a long way with a legal blog.