How Can Lawyers use Clickthrough Attribution in Marketing?
To understand your return on investment, you need to know what is working and what is not. Clickthrough attribution credits the client contact with a particular ad after they click on it. This review system can show the value of a particular advertisement or marketing method by tracking the clicks, then seeing if they lead to conversions.
The attribution model lets you create a straightforward link between advertisement and results. It is a way to determine which campaigns or ads drive the most client contacts for your law firm. Click attribution can show whether a prospective client made contact because of the specific advertisement or whether the contact was generated another way.
Click-through Attribution Models
The best click-through attribution model for a law firm will depend on the specific needs and goals of the firm. However, some common models used by law firms and businesses in general include:
- Last Click Attribution: credits the last touchpoint prior to a conversion as the most important.
- First Click Attribution: credits the first touchpoint as the most important.
- Linear Attribution: gives equal credit to all touchpoints in the customer journey.
- Time Decay Attribution: gives more credit to touchpoints that occurred closer to the conversion.
- Position-Based Attribution: gives more credit to the first and last touchpoints and splits the remaining credit evenly among the other touchpoints.
Ultimately, the best model will depend on the unique characteristics of the firm’s customer journey, marketing goals, and data available. It is recommended to test and evaluate different models and continuously optimize based on results.
How do I track these clicks?
To track clickthrough attribution, you can use UTM parameters to track the source, medium, and campaign information for each click on a link. You can add these parameters to the end of your URL, and then analyze your website traffic data in Google Analytics to see where visitors are coming from and how they interact with your website. Another option is to use an attribution tracking tool (Bitly, Ow.ly, TinyURL, etc.) that provides click analytics and attribution data. So you’ll need the following components to plug into:
- Web analytics tools: Use tools like Google Analytics to track the clicks on your website and understand where they’re coming from.
- UTM parameters: You can add unique tracking parameters (UTM codes) to your advertising URLs so you can see which ad campaigns and sources drive the most traffic.
- Landing page software: Use dedicated landing page software that integrates with your advertising platform to track clicks and conversions.
- Call tracking software: If you are running call-based advertising campaigns, you can use call tracking software to track the calls generated from your ads.
By using these tools, you can understand the effectiveness of your online advertising campaigns and make data-driven decisions to optimize and improve your marketing efforts.
But, where do I advertise?
The best online advertising service for lawyers will depend on various factors such as budget, target audience, and advertising goals. We frequently see attorneys advertise on Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, and throughout our network of legal brands. It’s important to research and compare different advertising services to determine the best option for your firm. It’s also advisable to test and iterate your campaigns to find the best performing advertising strategies.
Our Legal Marketing Experts can help you navigate best practices for advertising — just give us a call!